1). what is Database Testing?
Testing the backend databases, like comparing the actual results with expected results.
2). what is database testing and what we test in database testing
Data bas testing basically include the following.
1) Data validity testing.
2) Data Integrity testing
3) Performances related to database.
4) Testing of Procedure, triggers and functions.
For doing data validity testing you should be good in SQL queries
For data integrity testing you should know about referential integrity and different constraint.
For performance related things you should have idea about the table structure and design.
For testing Procedure triggers and functions you should be able to understand the same.
3). what we normally check for in the Database Testing?
Database testing involves some in-depth knowledge of the given application and requires more defined plan of approach to test the data. Key issues include:
1) data Integrity
2) data validity
3) data manipulation and updates.
Tester must be aware of the database design concepts and implementation rules
The approach is as follows:
While adding a record thru' front-end check back-end that addition of record is effected or not.
So same for delete, update...
Ex: Enter employee record in database thru' front-end and check if the record is added or not to the back-end (manually).
1. The field size validation
2. Check constraints.
3. Indexes are done or not (for performance related issues)
4. Stored procedures.
5.The field size defined in the application is matching with that in the db.
8). What SQL statements we use in Database Testing?
Using output database check point and database check point,
Select SQL manual queries option
And enter the "select" queries to retrieve data in the database and compare
The expected and actual.
Most of all, maintain a backup of the previous database.
You have to do the following things while you are involving in Data Load testing.
1. You have know about source data (table(s), columns, data types and Constraints)
2. You have to know about Target data (table(s), columns, data types and Constraints)
3. You have to check the compatibility of Source and Target.
4. You have to Open corresponding DTS package in SQL Enterprise Manager and run the DTS package (If you are using SQL Server).
5. Then you should compare the column's data of Source and Target.
6. You have to check the number to rows of Source and Target.
7. Then you have to update the data in Source and see the change is reflecting in Target or not.
8. You have to check about junk character and Nulls.
15). What is way of writing test cases for database testing?
You have to do the following for writing the database test cases.
1. First of all you have to understand the functional requirement of the application thoroughly.
2. Then you have to find out the back end tables used, joined used between the tables, cursors used (if any), triggers used (if any), stored procedures used (if any), input parameter used and output parameters used for developing that requirement.
3. After knowing all these things you have to write the test cases with different input values for checking all the paths of SP.
One thing writing test cases for back-end testing not like functional testing. You have to use white box testing techniques.